So here I am writing my first
ever blog! I wanted to share my travel experience on my first ever Euro trip in
terms of planning. Who doesn’t need a relaxing vacation? I’ve always loved
travelling and it was a dream for me to visit Europe.
A lot of questions arise when you
have to travel. The first thing is the cost, then comes the procedures, the
travel plan, places of interest etc. I had to spend a significant amount of
time researching on all these aspects. It’s always good to spend a good amount
of time in planning before any trip, because you can explore more in the
limited amount of time you have.
I was a resident of Dubai, United
Arab Emirates, for the last 5 years and I went for a Euro trip from there.
First thing’s first, I searched for available options, travel agents, and
vacation packages. Cost was a significant factor and I wanted to choose the
best option out there.
Since it was a first time for me,
I wanted a complete package in which there would be accommodation, food and a
guided tour. I guess there are many of us out there who do not want to get into
the hassle of arranging each and every hotel in different countries, getting a
car on rent, or arranging air travel.
Now here’s an important tip: It’s always a good idea to look for a
travel agent in the destination country. Why? Well, because of costs! If
you choose a travel agent in your home country to arrange for a trip, chances
are that the agent would be contacting agents in the destination country anyway.
So essentially you would be paying the local agent plus the foreign one. There
are airlines or multinational companies which offer packages, but they too are
at times more expensive. If you choose a good travel agent who is not offering
very expensive packages, and is local to the destination, go for that! If you
do find a local cheap agent then good for you, otherwise this is the way to go.
So, from my search, I found a
travel company called Expat Explore. They were based in UK and my plan was to
go to UK first and then travel to other European countries from there. They
were offering very competitive packages, and the thing about them is that they
offer a significant discount if you book early. Well, I saw a great package I
liked on their website and booked it early, got a good discount as well!
The service offered by them was
excellent, the accommodation was very good and they took us sightseeing
everywhere. They give free days in between as well in which we can plan
everything on our own and that’s also a plus point. Like when I was in Paris,
we had one day as guided and the other as a free one. Planning that is a
separate thing and I can perhaps cover the details of that in a separate blog.
When to go is another big question. Best time to go to UK and
Europe in my recommendation would be around end of July – start of August. If
you’re going for some event then you have to plan accordingly for that. The
weather is cool, pleasant and very enjoyable. Do not forget umbrellas for UK!
You can never know when it starts to rain there! UK can become really
depressing in the winters, there is just snow snow and snow. The stores close
around 5 – 5:30 pm ish and you can’t do much then.
Another thing which comes in mind
is the accommodation cost. Do not, I
repeat, do not go for 4 or 5 star accommodation! Unless of course you are
heading off to a resort. You will not
spend much time in the hotel anyway, it will just be a place for you to sleep
at night, so do not go for expensive accommodation. I hardly spent 5-6 hours in
the hotel and that too at night when I came back to sleep, that’s about it.
The agents through which I booked
were offering a tour guide, complete accommodation (2 or 3 star max), breakfast
and dinner on most occasions and some other services. The only drawback I found
there was that the entire trip was supposed to be on bus! But I went ahead with
that option anyway, and I must admit, it was absolutely wonderful to be traveling by bus – hectic, but more fun
and worth it. Made a lot of friends as well. You get to see more places, and
the routes are very scenic. If I travelled by air, I wouldn’t have been able to
see the countryside, and by car would have meant a LOT of driving and I usually
get tired driving long distances. If I was going with a group of friends and
everyone took turns, then its fine. I really didn’t see the train cost there
but I’ve heard it’s not that cheap. Atleast the ones in UK weren’t that cheap.
Do not forget to take medication with you on the trip, it’s
very important. Keep a good stock of antiseptic, headache medicines, bandages,
and antibiotics if you can.
Another thing is sun tan cream! But that’s if you have
sensitive skin like mine which gets burned easily. I really faced issues in
Italy in that regard because the Sun there is a bit harsh.
Don’t take too many things in
your bags, keep atleast 1/3 space empty for souvenirs, you just can’t resist them!
For the visa, I had to arrange it on my own, but that is not much
of a hassle. You would need a separate visa for UK from their embassy and a
separate one for the other European countries (France, Switzerland, Italy,
Germany etc). That visa is called Schengen visa and you basically have to apply
for that in the embassy of the country in which you will stay more. For me, it was Italy, I spent around 4 days there from
my total of 12 days so I applied from the Italian embassy. They take their
sweet little time though :)
so apply well before your travel date. It’s better to apply ATLEAST a month before your travel
dates. But from my experience it would probably have been better to apply 2
months before. You can find more information on the embassy’s website. Keep
your passport in a safe place!
Well in the end I would just like
to share the total cost. This would
be for 2 persons because I traveled with my wife there. The total cost for me
was about 6850 US$ for the two of
us. This included air tickets (Dubai to UK and back on a 5 star airline; Qatar
Airways – really good :) ),
the agent fees which included guided tour, transport services, hotel
accommodation and food (breakfast, and dinner on some occasions). We traveled
to UK and stayed there for 2 weeks (stayed with a relative so saved up on hotel
costs there) and we traveled for 12 days to France (Paris) via ferry (lovely experience), Switzerland (went to the Swiss alps as well), Italy (Pisa, Rome, Venice, Florence), Austria, Germany
(Munich, Boppard, Rhine Valley), Netherlands
(local villages and Amsterdam) and Belgium.
The costs also included the shopping we did, and we did quite a significant
amount! Clothes and souvenirs were a lot, had trouble stuffing the bags with
them!
In the end I just wanted to say
that if you love traveling then a euro trip is a must! The cost may still seem
high, but it’s definitely worth it. I’ve considered it as an investment, as you
get to meet different people, you get to see the world and you learn a lot of
things. I’m having an urge to share my individual country experiences as well
and I might be doing that in my other blogs.
No comments:
Post a Comment